This project aims to promote a unique ‘Whole of Nation Approach’ (WoNA) to the development of Georgia’s national security vision. In contrast to past development processes, the ‘Whole of Nation Approach’ will involve not only the representatives of the state agencies, but also members of civil society including the security community, experts, academics and the media.
• Elaboration of a clear vision of Georgian national security, its goals, objectives and the ways of their implementation;
• Introduction of the resultant national security vision to international partners, with due consideration of partners’ experience and recommendations;
• Design and development of a national security document, which will include national security goals and objectives and a relevant action plan.
The afore-mentioned approach will be the first strategic process to be established not only through state bureaucracy, but the national consensus.
The process will be implemented in three stages:
Stage I – Local Outreach: Visits to the Regions of Georgia
- Under the auspices of the President of Georgia the representatives of the National Security Council (NSC) Office and Georgian Strategic Analysis Center (GSAC) visit all the regions of Georgia.
- They meet local public opinion makers, members of civil society including the security community, experts, academics and the media.
- Topics for discussions: basic principles and objectives of Georgian national security.
Stage II – International Outreach: Joint Conference with International Security Community Representatives
- Representatives of Georgia present its WoNA national security vision, goals and objectives.
- Foreign partners share their knowledge and experience on how the aforementioned process was enacted in their respective countries.
- A summary of the discussion is reflected in the recommendation document, which will operate as a manual for the structural and intellectual modification of the WoNA Georgian vision.
Stage III – Document Development: Prepare initial results of the ‘Whole of Nation Approach’
-The NSC Office and Georgian security community representatives develop a first draft of the National Security document, incorporating partners’ recommendations.
- Secretary of the NSC presents the initial version of the document to the general public.
- Consultations regarding document are held with representatives of the Georgian government.